Saturday, February 16, 2008

Pink Velvet Cake

So my first go at Granny Ruth's red velvet cake was a success, but Tommy and I both felt it was heavy on the oils- especially considering the low- fat restrictions in this house of late- our taste buds just aren't the same. So I revised the recipe to get the fat down a little (and because the $2.99 bottle of popcorn oil had 2/3 cup of oil left and I can't bear to waste!) Sooo, to limit the fats, I reduced the popcorn oil from 1 cup to 2/3 cup, and reduced the 1/2 cup vegetable oil to 1/4 cup olive oil. At the same time, I increased the 1 teaspoon cocoa to 1 tablespoon to make up for the flavor loss from the reduced amount of oil (and I added 1 tsp baking powder). I considered using 4 egg whites instead of 2 whole eggs, but, come on people, this is red velvet cake, after all- and there's 8 oz. cream cheese and 1 stick of butter in the icing anyway! But the truth is that I was short on eggs. Next time, I will use the 4 egg whites and a lowfat cream cheese and see how it goes. Surely I will rue the day I tinkered with Granny Ruth's recipe, but then again Granny Ruth never watched Dr. Oz on Oprah.

Speaking of Dr. Oz, take his real age test at www.realage.com.

No comments: