Friday, April 29, 2016

Vizsla pup 12 wks old- Place Wait Take practice

It's important that Luci understands where she is supposed to be and what she should be doing while we get her acclimated to accompanying us in our daily routine.  We are establishing her 'place' in each room of the house and encouraging her to relax, chew, and play in this place.  

This video is my attempt at establishing a place for her in our kitchen.  Once I established the place with this exercise, she goes there and stays while I unload the dishwasher, etc.  She was previously chewing the dishwasher bins while I unloaded it, so this exercise solved a big problem!  

We incorporated the 'place' practice with the wait and take practice from the prior week.  We are now also requiring eye contact before she takes treats- this is the equivalent of her asking 'please, may I' before she takes action. 

If you watch closely towards the end of the video, you can see her stop her body from lurching forward towards the treat.  Instead of acting on her impulse, she looks towards me and 'asks' permission.  

Just minutes earlier, she was not quite as sharp (see video below)...

No comments: