Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Grey Loves Gold- Our Texas Home Makeover Post #18

As soon as I saw the dark grey bedroom walls in this Texas house, I had one thought: gold.

Inspiration

I found these rooms via internet searches that inspired me to go for the gold/grey combo:
This one reminds me of my grandmother's house in the late 70s... I think it's the tufted headboard/ king sized bed combo and the gold accents... Oddly comforting.    

I love the sophisticated messiness of this dark grey/ gold room.  Brass is back and it's taking no prisoners!

This was the moment I knew where my heavy gold mirror would go- definitely the bedroom.  It was my MIL's and has been in my basement for 7+ years waiting for the perfect wall space... 

This pic inspired other aspects of my room that will be thoroughly covered in a future blog post.  I don't know that I can explain why, but I love it... It haunts me in just the right way...


Going for the Gold... and Red...
The first thing that went up in this room was the mirror.  I thought this was the perfect place and all furniture placement was worked in around it.  We'll explore other aspects of this room in future posts... I love the bed and the mirror and I wanted the combo to get its own blog post....I didn't want them to get lost in the drama that is the rest of the room.  


I use red unapologetically in practically every room in every house... I get this from my Gran who loved to decorate with red as well.  The red star quilt was actually handmade by my Granny Ruth Foster while Granddaddy was serving in Guam just after WWII.  It is one of my most prized possessions.  

The bold gold/ grey floral painting was a cheapo find at Ross for $25- it could not be more perfect for this room or for my budget!
The bed is a family heirloom- Tommy's Aunt Tee's antique Lillian Russell.  I adore it... And, yes, we really do sleep in a regular size bed!  

This is the original mid-century add for our bedroom set... It's American black walnut and it looks incredible against the grey walls.  We have exactly the set listed in the add- Aunt Tee saved this add when she bought the pieces.  

This is dear sweet Aunt Tee- the original owner of these antiques.  

The oriental lamp is an estate sale find.  The linen pillows are from Company Store (I got the  linen covers at an additional 50% off of the clearance price... I used old pillows to stuff them);  
The three pillows in front are from TJ Maxx.  I have had the matelasse bedspread and quilt for years.  

Way out of character for me, I paid full price for this pillow.  A woman knows when she finds her perfect throw pillow.  This was mine.  





No comments: